This Protected Item type backs up a MySQL database. It is also compatible with MySQL-compatible servers such as MariaDB and Percona Server. It works at the logical (SQL) level.
No data is spooled to the local disk. As per the "Program Output" type, no progress bar or ETA appears during a MySQL backup.
Databases are backed up one-at-a-time. Point-in-time consistency is only preserved on a per-database basis.
Connection details should be supplied before selecting databases. Fill in the fields at the bottom of the dialog window.
Use the plus button on the right to open a database browser, allowing you to select individual databases for backup. Use the dropdown-plus button to add a custom property.
Magnus Box's MySQL support works at the logical (SQL) level using
mysqldump. A copy of this program must be found on the device in order for the backup job to run.
mysqldump binary is selected as follows:
- If a custom path to mysqldump has been set, this binary is used.
- Otherwise, if there is a version of mysqldump installed (e.g. you are backing up a MySQL server from the server itself), the local version of mysqldump will be used to ensure maximum compatibility.
- Otherwise, if no copy of mysqldump can be found, the Windows version of Magnus Box bundles a recent mysqldump binary in compliance with its license.
- If no suitable
mysqldumpbinary is found, the MySQL backup job will fail with an error message
Couldn't find 'mysqldump' anywhere. This failure can be detected via the backup job's status or its log entries.
On Linux, you can install a copy of
mysqldump as follows:
apt-get install mysql-client
yum install mysql
Magnus Box supports backing up the built-in system databases if desired.
- The mysql database contains server configuration, including user accounts and grants. It should only be restored to the same major release of MySQL.
- The information_schema database is a set of read-only views and does not need to be restored.
- The performance_schema database is a set of aggregated statistics and does not need to be restored.
- The sys database (in MySQL 5.7.7 and higher) is a set of performance statistics and does not need to be restored. If your version of MySQL does not successfully back up this table, it is safe to exclude it from the Magnus Box settings.
This feature is available in Magnus Box 19.3.0 and later.
Magnus Box allows you to select the isolation mode used when reading data from MySQL. You should select the most appropriate isolation mode for your MySQL engine type.
The following options are available:
Isolation Mode: Transaction
Detail: Wrap all read access in a single transaction, so that the read data is consistent
Isolation Mode: Lock tables (default)
InnoDB: Consistent, but slow
MyISAM: Consistent, but slow
Detail: Lock access to database before reading it, so that the read data is consistent. This requires that the MySQL user account has been granted the
LOCK TABLES permission
Isolation Mode: None
Detail: Do not take a transaction and do not lock tables.